Audition for GSYO
Musicians ages 6 to 18 are invited to make an audition appointment with GSYO. Individual audition appointments are made year-round, based upon openings in the program. Candidates must study with a private teacher and have had at least one year of lessons to be considered for placement. GSYO orchestras and ensembles are made up of players from across Silicon Valley and throughout the Bay Area.
Before you apply for an audition:
- Auditions are heard in-person.
- All participants must show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination at time of audition. GSYO encourages booster shots for all who are eligible.
- Carefully read the requirements that are posted for each orchestra and ensemble, and prepare your audition accordingly.
- During the Spring auditions for the 2024-25 season, there are openings for all instruments at all levels unless otherwise noted. If auditioning for the current (23-24) season, check that there are openings for your instrument at your desired orchestra level. When there are no openings, applications will be held until either a position becomes available or the open Spring audition period begins, whichever comes first.
- There is a $30.00 audition fee due when you fill out the application. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. You will not receive an appointment slot until this fee is received. Applications must be processed before the appointment reservation email is sent.
- Appointment reservation invitation emails will be sent in early February. These emails are sent during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 10am-6pm, excluding holidays); musicians may choose their own appointments from the schedule on a first come, first served basis. There is no hard application deadline, but once all appointments are filled, applications will be placed on a waiting list. Please apply sooner than later!
- Auditions will be heard between 3/23/24-4/13/24, depending on the instrument and orchestra level. Percussion auditions (ONLY) will be heard on 4/21/23.
- If you have any questions, please review the FAQ.
- Interested in the Senior Symphony Orchestra? Please note the following: Musicians who are accepted to the Symphony Orchestra must attend the mandatory August Retreat at UCSC, Aug. 4-8, 2024.
- Interested in the Camilla Kolchinsky Orchestra? Please note the following: Musicians who are accepted to the Camilla Kolchinsky Orchestra must attend the mandatory Allegretto Retreat at UCSC, Aug. 23-25, 2024. CKO will also tour in the Spring of 2025 (further details to follow).
- All applicants will be notified of the results of their audition by e-mail in late April. Placement decisions of the conducting staff are final and non-appealable. If accepted into one of the orchestras, students will be sent enrollment information including information on annual season fees.
- All orchestra members are encouraged to participate in school music programs when such programs exist. By participating in a school music program, you benefit by playing every day, becoming a better sight-reader, and playing an important part in helping to build meaningful music programs in your schools and communities.
- GSYO gives equal membership opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, citizenship, disability, or geographic location.