Audition for GSYO
Musicians ages 6 to 18 are invited to make an audition appointment with GSYO. Candidates must study with a private teacher and have had at least one year of lessons to be considered for placement. GSYO orchestras and ensembles are made up of players from across Silicon Valley and throughout the Bay Area.
Before you apply for an audition:
- Auditions are heard in-person.
- All participants must show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination at time of audition. GSYO encourages booster shots for all who are eligible.
- Carefully read the requirements that are posted for each orchestra and ensemble, and prepare your audition accordingly.
- During the Spring auditions for the 2023-24 season, there are openings for all instruments at all levels unless otherwise noted.
- Please note, there will be no harp openings at the Senior Symphony for the 2023-24 season.
- There is a $30.00 audition fee due when you fill out the application. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. You will not receive an appointment slot until this fee is received. Applications must be processed before the appointment reservation email is sent.
- Appointment reservation invitation emails are sent during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 10am-6pm, excluding holidays); musicians may choose their own appointments from the schedule on a first come, first served basis. There is no hard application deadline, but once all appointments are filled, applications will be placed on a waiting list. Please apply sooner than later!
- Auditions will be heard between 3/25/23-4/8/23, depending on the instrument and orchestra level. Percussion auditions (ONLY) will be heard on 4/30/23.
- If you have any questions, please review the FAQ.
- Interested in the Senior Symphony Orchestra? Please note the following: Musicians who are accepted to the Senior Symphony must attend the mandatory Summer Retreat, Aug. 3-8, 2023 as well as the International Tour in late June/early July 2024.
- All applicants will be notified of the results of their audition by e-mail in late April. Placement decisions of the conducting staff are final and non-appealable. If accepted into one of the orchestras, students will be sent enrollment information including information on annual season fees.
- All orchestra members are encouraged to participate in school music programs when such programs exist. By participating in a school music program, you benefit by playing every day, becoming a better sight-reader, and playing an important part in helping to build meaningful music programs in your schools and communities.
- GSYO gives equal membership opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, citizenship, disability, or geographic location.
We invite musicians interested in auditioning for GSYO to attend our orchestra open houses. These are informal events and attendees may come and go as they please during the scheduled time. GSYO Open Houses are drop-in events featuring open rehearsals and a chance to learn more about being a GSYO student. It’s a great way to get answers to all your questions about GSYO programs and meet our artistic and administrative staff in person.
Prospective families are encouraged to research the orchestra or orchestras that best align with their child’s level and attend those rehearsals.
- Symphony: Feb. 26, 2023, 3:30-4:30pm @ Union Presbyterian Church, Los Altos
- Camilla Kolchinsky Orchestra: Feb. 28, 2023, 6:15-7:15pm @ Union Presbyterian Church, Los Altos
- El Camino Wind Orchestra: Feb. 28, 2023, 6:30-7:15pm @ Union Presbyterian Church, Los Altos
- Galbraith Honor Strings: Feb. 27, 2023, 7:15-8pm @ The Garden House at Shoup Park, Los Altos
- Camerata Orchestra: Feb. 27, 2023, 6:30-7:15pm @ Union Presbyterian Church, Los Altos
- Chamber Players Orchestra: Feb. 27, 2023, 5:30-6:15pm @ Union Presbyterian Church, Los Altos