How to Join
New Member Audition Application
Musicians ages 6 to 18 are invited to make an audition appointment with GSYO. Individual audition appointments are made year-round, based upon openings in the program. Candidates must study with a private teacher and have had at least one year of lessons to be considered for placement.
Before you apply for an audition:
- Carefully read the requirements that are posted for each orchestra and ensemble, and prepare your audition accordingly. In-season auditions will be held on a rolling basis as faculty schedules permit. Spring auditions for the following season will be held in March and April.
- If auditioning for the current season, check that there are openings for your instrument at your desired orchestra level. When there are no openings, applications will be held until either a position becomes available or the open Spring audition period begins, whichever comes first. In the Spring, there are openings for all instruments at all levels!
- There is a $25.00 audition fee due when you fill out the application. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. You will not receive an appointment until this fee is received.
- If you have any questions, please review the FAQ.
- Interested in the Senior Symphony Orchestra? Please note the following: Musicians who are accepted to the Senior Symphony must attend the Summer Retreat in early August.
- All applicants will be notified of the results of their audition by e-mail. Placement decisions of the conducting staff are final and non-appealable. If accepted into one of the orchestras, students will be sent enrollment information including information on annual season fees.
- All orchestra members are encouraged to participate in school music programs when such programs exist. By participating in a school music program, you benefit by playing every day, becoming a better sight-reader, and playing an important part in helping to build meaningful music programs in your schools and communities.
We invite musicians interested in auditioning for GSYO to attend our orchestra open houses, to experience a GSYO rehearsal and to meet the faculty. These are informal events and attendees may come and go as they please during the scheduled time. No RSVP is required. Staff will be present to answer questions.