Galbraith Honor Strings Members Only
This is the place to visit for important member updates, schedule information, concert dates and rehearsal times/locations... essentially everything you need to know about the Galbraith Honor Strings Season!
REMIND APP: If you haven't already, please sign up for the Remind app! We will be using it to send out text notifications and reminders (very occasionally!). If there is a last minute sectional room change, an update to a schedule, or other reminders that need to get sent out quickly, Remind is very handy. Please text @ghs-2021 to the number 81010 to be added to the message list. Or add yourself online: https://www.remind.com/join/ghs-2021
WHO TO CONTACT
Absences, Music, Lost & Found: Katie (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Adam (email@example.com)
Payments, Promotion Auditions, Concert Tickets: Deepika (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lori (email@example.com)
Donations, Gift Matching, or Ad Sales: Joanne (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Board Membership: Seth (email@example.com)
6:00 - 8:00pm
Cubberley Community Center, Palo Alto
- Musician Reminders
- Parent Volunteering
- Reporting Absences
- School Music Policy
- Concert Dress Code
- Annual Auditions
GSYO Behavior Expectations
- Respect fellow musicians, faculty, and staff at all times! This means using appropriate language, listening carefully to directions without interrupting, and following instructions.
- Musicians are responsible for their own instruments. Students should not trade instruments or play other musician's instruments. If staff observes this behavior, it will be reported immediately to the musician's parents.
- During break: roughhousing, grabbing, teasing, or otherwise antagonizing other musicians, even in play, will not be tolerated. Students must stay in the paved area outside the rehearsal room; no going behind buildings or leaving campus.
- Musicians are permitted to read or work on homework only during breaks. No books/games/homework should be out during rehearsal.
- Snacks, drinks, etc... should be enjoyed during breaks, outside. No food/drink other than closed containers of water allowed during rehearsal times.
- Respect our rehearsal space. Clean up after yourself, put away chairs at the end of rehearsal, and make sure to take all your belongings with you.
- MP3 players, gaming devices, etc., found to be in use during rehearsal will be confiscated. They can be retrieved from the GSYO office by appointment.
- Excessive talking, tardiness, or disruption of rehearsal may result in disciplinary measures. Students who repeatedly talk during rehearsal may be dismissed and their parent called to pick them up immediately.
Just as there are various levels of orchestra for our musicians, there are various ways for parents to be involved with GSYO. We are a large, diverse, and a widely-recognized music education program that has a devoted but, nevertheless, small staff; therefore, we deeply appreciate your contribution of time and efforts in support of our young musicians. We welcome everyone's participation during the year so that our season is a success, for all concerned - musicians, parents, faculty, and staff alike.
|Mailing Crew||Fall & Spring Concerts|
|Phone-a-thon||Audition Promotion Team|
If your musician is unable to attend rehearsal, please notify the Artistic Operations Manager and the Orchestra Assistant as soon as possible by submitting an Absence Notification through the GSYO website. You may also call the GSYO Musicians' line at (650) 665-9047. If there is no answer, please leave a message. Note: the online form is preferred. Students should not miss more than two rehearsals in a concert period.
If a musician will miss a dress rehearsal or a concert, A PARENT MUST submit the Absence Notification form through the GSYO site.
- Only two absences are allowed per concert schedule - regular rehearsals only.
- The only excused absences for dress rehearsals or concerts are severe illness, loss in the family, or a school music performance.
- Missing more than 30 minutes of a rehearsal is considered an absence.
GSYO Supports School Music
GSYO members are encouraged to take an active role in their school music programs; it strengthens and enhances student musical development within the school community and in their progress through the GSYO ensembles.
GSYO members are ambassadors for the organization in their community. You can make a tremendous contribution to these programs by serving as a role model and sharing your talents with others. While not a requirement for GSYO participation, all GSYO Conductors expect that you will be a member of your school music program.
It is important that our families understand that we support their mandatory school music performances and that the school music directors feel comfortable communicating with the GSYO Conductors and Administration when conflicts arise.
Concert Dress Code
Concert dress code is designed to ensure professionalism, an ensemble that appears uniform on stage, and students’ ability to perform.
Galbraith Honor Strings musicians should wear white tops and black bottoms. That could mean:
Option 1: White blouse or button-up shirt, long black skirt, black socks and black dress shoes.
Option 2: White blouse or button-up shirt and dark slacks, black socks and black dress shoes. Coats and bow ties are optional.
For all musicians: please NO white socks or athletic shoes. Tops should be white without any words or graphics.
***Concert dress is required for concerts only! Do not wear concert dress to dress rehearsals.
Members of the Galbraith Honor Strings who wish to audition for promotion to Sinfonietta for the following season should submit the Audition Application online through the Members Only section in January/February. Auditions take place during March and April. Send your application in early as appointment slots fill up quickly. Payment is due at the time the application is submitted.